- to learn more about suicide prevention – NEVER LEAVE A MARINE *…*
August 28, 2010 – There is help out there. Let’s make sure our brave heroes have the best medical care possible.
- Privatising war
August 27, 2010 – Quite a thoughtful article on the risks of ceding effective control of our US military to private contractors. It is often simply question of loyalty and integrity vs. a tradeoff of efficiency and secrecy. How are public interests best served? I certainly don’t have the answers, but I am fearful of “shadow” contractors who operate outside the limits of public scrutiny.
- DoD Suicide Task Force Contradicts *Army* Findings
August 27, 2010 – I echo the author’s sentiments: “Wonder if the Army brass cares that it looks like a bunch of knuckleheads. I’m betting not.” No need to continue shooting yourself in the foot.
- For addicted veteran, regulation is enemy
August 27, 2010 – Yet another story of the serious after-effects of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Don’t our troops deserve better care and treatment?
- PC Week: *U.S. military* wants to exert influence over private cyber *…*
August 27, 2010 – Is this the changing face of modern warfare. Clearly, recent attempts by the Chinese and Russians (not verified or, at least, not disclosed to the public) to compromise our communications networks is quite sobering. Not sure the military is the “right” answer, but it does appear that we are vulnerable.
- The Colonel’s Corner: Fuggedaboudit!
August 27, 2010 – More on the debate about the future of the USMC. Very difficult choices in an era of budget austerity.
- *War* Demands Compromise Hunt for Deadliest Weapons, Top US Commander Says
August 27, 2010 – The threat of weapons of mass destruction is still very real. Are we prepared? This articles casts a very grim picture of well equipped we are to deal with this very real threat.
- Marines fighting for their future?
August 27, 2010 – Good overall analysis of the debate on the future of the Marine Corps. Clearly, with a raging budget deficit and Secretary Gates’ desire to reign in military spending, there are no more sacred cows. Can a solution be reached which preserves the rich traditions and valiant service rendered by the USMC?
- US *military* ‘hit in cyber strike’
August 26, 2010 – Is this the new face of warfare? As our military becomes more techie, we become exposed to a new type of warfare. Pretty frightening.
- Joint DoD Task Force Releases Report on Preventing Suicide in *U.S. Military *
August 24, 2010 – Suicide prevention and dealing with brain trauma injuries and mental stress for military personnel is finally receiving the attention it deserves.
- Taliban, Al Qaeda, get increasingly inventive with IEDs in *Afghanistan* * …*
August 24, 2010 – Smaller IEDs, but still effective. Taliban and Al Qaeda improvise.
- NATO’s cheek and other secrets from a schizophrenic alliance
August 24, 2010 – Interesting Canadian perspective on NATO’s frustrating response to the war in Afghanistan.